Candied Sweet Potatoes – Highlight of the Thanksgiving Meal
I prepared this dish for one of my clients on Thanksgiving day. He commented to me after dinner was completed, that the candied sweet potatoes was the “Bell of the Ball”!
Below is the recipe that I used with a couple of Culinary Tweaks of my own. Enjoy!
Candied Sweet Potatoes:
5 pounds of unpeeled sweet potatoes
1.25 cups of unsalted butter
1.25 cups of light brown sugar
6 cups miniature marshmallows
Ground cinnamon to taste
Ground nutmeg to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9” x13” baking dish with Pam.
2) Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are slightly under done – fork tender. Drain cool and peel.
3) Combine unsalted butter, brown sugar, 3 cups of marshmallows, nutmeg and cinnamon in stock pot. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until butter, sugar and marshmallows are melted and blended together like syrup.
4) Stir potatoes into marshmallow syrup. While stirring mash half the potatoes and break the others into bite size pieces. Pour into prepared baking dish.
5) Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cover top evenly with remaining marshmallows. Then place back in oven and bake until marshmallows are golden brown.